I’m going to Blog On MSI in Manchester later this month – and I have to admit, I’m a little nervous! I’ve never been to a blogging conference before, and I don’t really know many of the bloggers who’ll be going. I’ve never met other parenting bloggers in “real life” before, so I have visions of being a bit of a Billy-No-Mates sitting in the corner. Everyone on the Blog On Facebook page is lovely, though, and I’m sure there will be plenty of people feeling as nervous as me!
And now, for my answers to the ice breaker questions…
1. Share a recent photo of you (or a doodle!)
2. Describe yourself in five words or less. Quirky, excitable, social, chatty, geeky.
3. How long have you been blogging, and why did you start? I started blogging at The Speed Bump in October 2013 so almost three years ago! I started because I was pregnant at 19 and wanted to have somewhere to get my thoughts across.
4. What are you hoping to get out of Blog On? I’m looking forwards to some really interesting talks and sessions, and meeting some bloggers!
5. Name a few of your favourite blogs. I love A Moment With Franca, Beauty Baby and Me, Whinge Whinge Wine and One Frazzled Mum, among many others!
6. What’s your favourite social media platform(s)… and what’s your username? My favourite is Twitter, where I’m @maddyleigh1994, but I do love Instagram too! My insta is thespeedbumpblog.
7. Share a fact about you no-one would guess. Haha this is a tough one, I’m a pretty open book so I don’t even keep secrets about myself 😉 Maybe my horrendous phobia of octopus. Or the fact that I can dislocate my joints with minimal effort?
8. What’s your favourite bit of tech? As much as I love my camera, my smartphone is my lifeline. Perfect for business, blogging and personal use!
9. If you won the lottery, how would you spend your winnings? The obligatory donation to charity and sorting out our families with homes and anything they need. Then a cruise to Norway, a trip to Lapland for SB, a big house with a swimming pool for us and tickets to see Hamilton the Musical.
10. If you could host a talk show, who would be your first guest? Following on from the previous answer, Lin-Manuel Miranda. Or Sia, I love her. OR Hollie McNish, I have a little bit of a poet-crush/girl-crush on her.
11. Share a funny (or favourite) memory from your life. One of my favourite memories is graduation last year. After spending so long thinking I’d never get there, or I’d have to take a year out of uni after SB arrived, to not only graduate at the same time as everyone else but also top of the class with a First was such a moment of pride. The pictures of me and SB at graduation never fail to make me smile! Funny memories… it wasn’t funny at the time, but we went to Blackpool in February. We went out for a nice meal and SB wasn’t well, she threw up everywhere. We ended up paying for our half-eaten meal, the meal of the couple sitting next to us who got their jackets puked on, leaving the restaurant and legging it down Blackpool seafront past the tower, covered in sick! In hindsight we look back and laugh at it!
12. What is your favourite book (or film if you’re not a big reader) and why? I have different categories! I struggle to concentrate on a book for long enough so when one captures my attention, I love it! Favourite “classic” literature is To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Favourite book from my childhood is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Favourite book currently is either Blood, Sweat and Tea (paramedic memoir) or Nobody Told Me by Hollie McNish.
13. What picture is on your phone/tablet lock screen? A picture of SB looking super adorable, like butter wouldn’t melt (she’s a good actress!)
14. If you had an hour of time all to yourself, how would you spend it? Hot bubble bath and some writing! Sounds like bliss!
15. What’s the best bit of advice you’ve ever been given? Don’t waste time worrying about what other people think. It’s a case of mind over matter – those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind. Oh, and never tell yourself that you can’t do something – the more difficult it is, the more rewarding the feeling when you’ve done it!
That was a great questionnaire! I’m looking forwards to reading more posts by other bloggers attending Blog On and getting to know more about them!
Are you going to Blog On? Have you been to blogging conferences before? What was your experience?